This was originally composed of 9 smaller Charities, the first founded in 1683 and others in 1800’s. The Charity was extensively overhauled in 1980’s to make it an effective force and to ensure its funds reached those in need.
Applications are taken principally from local professional and voluntary staff who have knowledge of the families and individuals with whom they are working and who see the provision of a grant as a way of supporting their clients and making a real difference in their lives.
This was originally composed of 5 smaller Charities, the first founded in 1704 and others in Victorian times. The Charity was extensively overhauled in 1980’s to reflect the changing times and educational needs of young people.
The Trust has links with local sixth form colleges, Royal Holloway College, local schools and groups offering Duke of Edinburgh Award schemes. Applications can be taken direct from the student but need to be endorsed by their training establishment. With the current emphasis on apprenticeships we hope some of the charitable funds may once again be used to support youngsters undertaking apprenticeships, as they were in 1704!
We administer 11 almshouses in Egham, in two locations. Six of these date back to 1840, but these buildings fell into disrepair and were re-built in their current position on Pooley Green Road in 1925, where they were extended and modernised in 1980’s. Another group of five almshouses was built at the rear of the Parish Church in Egham in 1999. All these dwellings provide delightful homes for older ladies who have lived in the area for many years.
The Charities are managed by a Committee of Trustees, all local people with particular skills in the field. The Committee meet every six weeks, thus ensuring applications are attended to quickly.